Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Don't tread on me!


I don't usually do stuff like this..

But I suppose living in the current  "Knee jerk rage" world of social media has finally gotten the best of me and well, a blog IS supposed to be an outlet for thoughts and all that crap so...

It was brought to my attention last week that someone was passing my artwork off as their own. Going so far as to "Chop & Screw" my work on PS to create Faux Process pics. THAT was really funny. And ambitious on their end. If your going to lie about something go big I guess.

Long story short, after much digging I saw that this person passed off two of my drawings as their own and even submitted one of them to a Tee Fury style website. I contacted the website and they quickly removed the design and were very courteous and apologetic about what happened. The thief also removed my work from their various social media pages thanks to pressure from myself and a bunch of my friends and supporters (who were, let's just say verbally....STERN with the thief.)

VICTORY!

Right?

This isn't the first time that this happened to me and it most likely won't be the last. In fact I'm shocked that people swipe anything from little ol' me. It's something that EVERY artist who posts work on the internet has to unfortunately deal with.

Yeah, it sucks. I know. But as long there's people like this on the internet -
It's something that we just have to deal with. Look, this post isn't about sour grapes, The stuff that was stolen from me was only a fraction of what I'm capable of, and in no way is this going to discourage me from sharing my work with those who actually appreciate it.

It''s just an annoyance. An annoyance that keeps me away from where I'd rather be. The drawing board. And I'd much rather be creating than tracking down some thief who's taking credit for something that I worked on.

So I'd like to leave these words to the little Klepto and their kin..

Instead of wasting all that time and energy surfing the web looking for art to poach, try focusing on building your OWN skillset. Do your OWN work.

Stealing work from other artists will get you no where. Professionally, artistically or personally.

It's not worth it.

Just stop.


No comments: